Weekend of Change

Often, change is so subtle that when you are the one home with the littles all the time, you don't even notice it. What? She grew 2 inches over the summer? How did you skip an entire shoe size between June and September? Little by little, the change just sneaks up on us. 

And then there are other times. 

Times when the changes are in your face and sudden. 

Like this weekend. It started innocently enough. Mid-July and quite hot for here. Trying to brainstorm how we can incorporate fun stuff into our summer. So Friday evening, we had an impromptu picnic in the park. Our first at the park downtown with a fountain. And I'm pretty sure the first picnic that didn't involve peanut butter sandwiches. I made dress rolls to go with the chopped watermelon and the homemade Chinese chicken salad. This mama was proud as two out of three children happily munched on salad as the main course and even asked for seconds. I hope the image stays with me a long time. We played in the fountain and had a grand time. 


Saturday, we geared up for another first. Our first ever family bike ride! Not for the faint of heart...my husband picked a route that was several miles long. And I hadn't been on a bike in approximately 7.5 years. Sheesh. I have to say, the kids were quite the troupers! I loved seeing those little legs pedaling for all they were worth! 


After a quick lunch, we headed to the Oregon International air show. Well, we headed to the Costco parking lot right next to the air show at least.  We had taken a calculated guess at when the Blue Angels would take to the air and were pretty much right on. We had a bit of a tailgate party (as did a bunch of other people with the same idea!) and watched them put on a show for us for about 45 minutes. So fun to share with the kids! and with as intrigued as Gracie girl is with airplanes right now, she thought it was just about the best thing ever! 


If all those firsts weren't enough, when we arrived at church this morning, Gracie girl got moved up to the 2-3's class. What?! For whatever reason, I so did not see that coming. Never mind that her birthday is mear weeks away. I no longer have a baby in the nursery. Did you catch that? I don't have a baby in the nursery and won't ever again! Cue the tears. How did this happen?  She's talking. She's as independent as they come. And she's growing up already. 

We ended the day with a trip to Chipotle. Where Honeygirl lost her first tooth. Seriously? The changes are coming so fast. It was just at lunch that she told me it was more loose. Then out it came. (With a bit of help from me.)  I found the old tooth box I had as a little girl and helped her carefully place it unde under her pillow filled with her tooth. She can't wait for morning. 


They are growing and changing so fast. The long, hard days? Somehow, all together, they zip past. I don't understand how, but they do. 

So I will write it down to remember. Because chances are, tomorrow will be long. And hard. They will fight.  They will tell me dinner is disgusting. And there will be tears from at least one. But these days will slip by like all seasoned moms say. And all too soon, these tough days will be past and I will miss them. 

Comments

  1. Wow, that was an action packed weekend! I heard about it from the kiddos but it was fun to read about it here! So glad you can record it for future reference :) Love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts