In sickness

Oh. My. Word. What is this incredible nastiness that has infected my house?? Let me tell you- it's been rough. If you can dream it up, in the last three weeks we have had it. 
Fevers- check. 
Vomiting- check
Diarrhea- check
Sinus congestion, loss of taste and smell, fatigue- check, check, and check. 
And sadly, the list could continue. See, I told you it's been bad! 

It started the night before March 19th (our 10th wedding anniversary!).  So forget the 7 year itch...it's the 10 year illnesses that will getcha!  And it's amazing how all consuming the illnesses can be. As you fight to get one person well and care for them, it's so discouraging when another bites the dust. Clorox wipes start to feel pointless. 

But to be honest, my sweet momma sent me an email with the perfect verse: Romans 12:12. Rejoice in hope, be patient in affliction, and persistent in prayer. 

Such a great reminder. Boy, it's hard to be patient when the mama IS the patient! I want to have been better yesterday! Or before that preferably! I don't want to STILL be sick. But that verse keeps coming back to me. Be patient in affliction. Really, my afflictions are minimal. Sinus pressure so intense my jaw feels like it might explode and I for sure can't chew? Not able to breathe through my nose? Well, at least I'm not in the hospital. No one in my family has anything life threatening. In the grand scheme of things, we aren't doing so bad. And be persistent in prayer. Hmmm. Such an important reminder.  It comes so easy when we need something: "place your healing hands on my child/me." "Heal me by the time I wake up in the morning." "Don't allow anyone else to get anything else...I can't take another sickness!"  When things are going well, it's easy to forget how vital prayer really is. It's a lifeline. But it should be where we turn FIRST. Not last. 

So although those are some very real prayers, I want to be thankful for what we have. "Thank you that we usually have good health."  "Thank you that my children have survived just fine even though I haven't been functioning very well." "Thank you for grandparents close by who have helped out when I can't do it on my own anymore." "And thank you for being a God who hears and listens on the good days and the tough days, when all I can eek out is a desperate cry to feel normal again!"

Comments

Popular Posts